KHAS EPE Impressionistic Writing Criteria for Proficiency Grading
A VERY GOOD
• Understands and completes the task required, provides all relevant information.
• Thorough prior planning of written work with very good organization. Well-developed, coherent, clear piece.
• Only occasional and minor grammatical errors which do not obscure meaning.
• Excellent range and appropriate use of vocabulary.
• Understands and completes the task, with very rare irrelevant information.
• Evidence of prior planning of written work. Coherent, clear piece.
• Some minor grammatical errors which do not obscure meaning.
• Generally good range and use of vocabulary with occasional inappropriate uses.
C BORDERLINE PASS
• Understands and completes the task, with occasional irrelevant information.
• Some attempt at prior planning and organization. Generally coherent, fairly clear piece.
• Some minor grammatical errors which rarely obscure meaning.
• Limited range and use of vocabulary but used mostly appropriately.
D BORDERLINE FAIL
• Some attempt to complete the task, with some omissions and/or irrelevant information. Some indication that task is only partially understood.
• Some attempt at prior planning, but evidence of poor organization of ideas. May lack coherence in parts.
• Elementary grammatical errors which occasionally obscure meaning.
• Tendency to use restricted range of vocabulary which occasionally obscure meaning.
• Barely completes the task but substantial omissions and irrelevancies suggest failure to understand what is required.
• Little evidence of prior planning. Poor development of ideas, often incoherent.
• Frequent grammatical errors, which often obscure meaning.
• A restricted and repetitive vocabulary not very appropriate to the task.
F BAD FAIL
• Little attempt to complete the task, with many omissions and irrelevancies which indicate failure to understand what is required
• No evidence of prior planning. Little or no development of ideas. Incoherent piece.
• Many elementary grammatical errors, which obscure meaning.
• Very simple and repetitive vocabulary inappropriate to the writing task.
1 TOTAL IRRELEVANCE: Complete failure to understand or complete the task.